Rat and Mouse
Wed
May
Ferrier Estate - "hellhole"

31May06Kidbrooke1.jpg

Here's a disturbing story about residents of Kidbrooke's condemned Ferrier Estate, many of whom are post-right-to-buy owners who have decided to stay put rather than accept derisory offers from Greenwich Council (£65,000 for a three-bedroom flat anyone?), while the council moves towards demolition and replacement in 2018. There are apparently 23 homeowners and three tenants left, living amongst derelict tower blocks, sheet metal, filth and darkness. It looks suspiciously like the council, who have promised to keep the estate inhabitable until it's finally replaced, is applying its own unorthodox methods to encourage the remaining residents to leave.

(Thanks to Jon Nicholls for the fabulous photographs - go here for more of his work.)

31May06Kidbrooke2.jpg

Comments

I bought my 4 bedroomed house from the G.L.C.on the Ferrier in 1979 before the right to buy was introduced I was already living on the estate but in a maisonette. My neighbours eitherside have been rehoused as they were council tenants therefore leaving me isolated.The Greenwich council has offered me 94,000.00 if I take this offer I would be unable to buy a property in this area and as I am 70 in July my chances of getting a mortgage is nil.I have been told that they would accept me as a Council tenant this would mean paying rent from my State pension. The council says that they are paying market prices for our properties but as the only sellers since the regeneration was announced 7 years ago is the council in the right to buy scheme there is no market value.

Posted by Dennis Eve at June 8, 2006 10:02 AM

Comments

My family lived on the Ferrier from 1971 to 1982. We moved from the dive that was the Walworth Road, to the Ferrier, which at the time felt like we had moved to a paradise in comparison. A lot of people who didn't know the Ferrier throughout the 70's, would probably consider me "Stark raving mad"! Given the estate as it is now, I would fully empathise with their view. However, through the early 1970's I attend Wingfield Primary School....Which was a really nice school, and where the kids felt safe! After leaving Wingfield, I went to Thomas Tallis Secondary, Firstly at Brissett Road in Eltham, then subsequently to it's current location in Kidbrooke Park Road. TT certainly had it's moments, both good and bad, and in retrospect probably more good times than bad!! What I remember most about TT was the Teachers, or should I say a few teachers....The disciplinarians like Mrs Hussain, Mr Moscrop, Mr Edwards and of course the redoubtable yet likeable Mr Aherne. Getting back to the Ferrier....We had a fantastic time through the 70's, even the occassional street party! There did seem to be a community spirit about the place throughout this time. So when mum & dad eventually decided to move to Orpington, we did so with a rather large lump in the throat!! Until a few weeks ago, I hadn't seen the Ferrier since the day we left back in 1982. I was visiting my sister in Blackheath, when on a whim I decided to take a small detour and visit the "Old Girl". What confronted me was enough to bring fleeting tears to my eyes! "What the hell had people done"! "What has happened to the pride of people to allow all around them to descend in to a Shit-Hole"! Please excuse the language...But aptly applies to this third world monstrosity before me"! It was all I could do, to beat a hasty retreat from this hovel, and to try and leave the estate with those wonderful memories of "The Ferrier" in tact! RIP Ferrier!

Posted by Doug Berry at October 29, 2006 7:09 PM

Comments

hi there, i lived on the ferrier for about 5 years and i thought it was not as bad as i had heard, the flats were of a decent size, and the crime wasnt too bad,

Posted by ronnie teleman sqaure at December 28, 2006 6:07 PM

Comments

i just wish the council would give the true value of the homes on the estate.afterall,we did not want to move in the first place.92k for a bed house with front and back garden,15 min from london bridge.what plannet is the council on? they need to treat people with respect.

Posted by paul at February 21, 2007 7:45 PM

Comments

I lived on the Ferrier from 1972 to 1990. When we moved in it was a great place with good community spirit. The place only became a dump after Greenwich council let unsavoury families move in, we even had squatters above us and the council did nothing about it! My mum worked in the Chip shop there and we lived in Pinto Way, The Ferrier will always be special to me but it is time to pull it down. Sarah.

Posted by Sarah at March 9, 2007 10:56 PM

Comments

it is a shit hole and i have been living here for 18 years and its getting worse i cant wait until it gets knocked down damien

Posted by damien at March 21, 2007 1:50 AM

Comments

I lived on the Ferrier for 22 years,we moved into the flat when it was brand new.
I could not have asked for a better place for my upbringing,everyone knew each other and it was safe and friendly.anyone who grew up there then will remember the yearly square parties,the ferrier fayre days and playscheme !!
How sad that it has gone so downhill in such a hugh way.I drove around it last week and couldn't believe how bad it was,i'm just so thankful that my children do not have to grow up there.
Lets hope that when it's knocked down that the new houses are given to decent families who deserve them, and it gets looked after like the ferrier used to be when i grew up.

Posted by debbie at March 23, 2007 9:32 PM

Comments

NUKE THE FUCKING PLACE...

FULL OF CHAV SCUM WHO WANNA STAB, SHOOT, ABUSE & STEAL FROM EVERYONE...

I LIVED THERE...

ONE WORD...

HELL!!!

NUKE IT!!!

NUKE IT NOW!!!

Posted by Guy at April 12, 2007 8:57 PM

Comments

i have live on ferrier for 19 years and have loved on here up untill 2 years ago now frighten to go out of a night as there are gangs of kids hanging around they is muggings and the ploice do nothing , i cant wait till it pulled down
bring it on

Posted by jackie at May 2, 2007 9:14 PM

Comments

RATS RATS RATS RATS RATS RATS RATS RATS EVERYWHERE!! MICE IN THE HOUSES THAT BITE THROUGH EVERYTHING.. WALLS.. CHRISTMAS PRESENTS.. FOODS. CLOTHES BITE THROUGH EVERYTHING AND SCRATCH THROUGH THINGS... EVEN BITE DEEEP HOLES THROUGH YOUR TOES AT NIGHT! YOU DONT FEEL THE PAIN TILL THE MORNING BECAUSE THEY DO SOME WEIRD STUFF SO YOU DONT FEEL IT... THEY LEAVE THE BLOOD LEAKING FROM YOUR TOE AND FLESH HANGS OUT OF THE SKIN...

Posted by Stuart at May 3, 2007 5:06 PM

Comments

i lived on the ferrier from 1974 to 1981 and i loved it as a child growing up on there, everyone knew eachother and it was a safe place , sitting remembering rino the icecream man, the toffee apple man, what a memorie, it,s not the place but the people that moved in with no respect that ruin this place, so don't condem the place condem the people who made it like it is now.

Posted by martin at May 9, 2007 8:51 PM

Comments

if there are only 23 homeowners and 3 tenants left, why do buses continue to be attacked on a regular basis, without recourse to the law ?? buses are fitted with cameras, and yet, would it not be cheaper and more effective, rather than police escorts, to interview all 26 families ??

Posted by Erroll at May 14, 2007 8:17 AM

Comments

i have lived on the ferrier for 7 years now in a one bedroom flat.i now have a 2 year old and a baby on the way.the conditions of my flat are discusting and dangerous for my child.its unfair and the council refuse to move me until the last minute.i live in leclair house and the block is in very poor condition with urine in the lifts and human excrement on the landing which i cleaned as i could not stand the smell lingering under my front door.the landings are dark and cold a bit like my flat really.we need to move on with the times and 2018 is still a long way off for demolishing as conditions are the same as when the ferrier was first built.with big windows that open really wide and blow out heating which is nackered there is no heating facilitie in the bedroom so winter is freezing in there.also the hot water system is rubbish.and the block as had its intercome cut off since 2003.i went to see my local mp today and got know were what a joke. kelly

Posted by kelly at May 26, 2007 8:36 PM

Comments

bang bang ferrier gang well we will always be on dis estate coz dis is our endz we stay out to late in teleman square we are da hood rats of da estate fuk haters ferrier til i die

Posted by merts at June 7, 2007 2:00 PM

Comments

am surprised no one else has mentioned the millions and billions of ants that share our flats and food with us. this estate is really below the porverty line. it is cruel for the coucil to allow even animals live in the ferrier let alone people and children.the biggest mistake i ever did was to accept a property in this joke of an estate. Winters are extremely cold in our flats, summer scorching hot. did i yet mention RATS RATS and more RATS. is the children and babies i pity the most mine and others. greenwich coucil ought to be very ashamed. get us all out of here now.

Posted by elise at June 13, 2007 3:14 PM

Comments

yes you are right i also have ants,i cant even leave food on the sides or even a chicken to cool down on a sunday as the ants nest it and eat it before i do its discusting that we cant do simple things in life like cooking.and the flats are freezing during winter and it costs us nearly �10.00 a week for heating that is not very good and just brings the ants out even more.i cant afford to pay out any more on heating and portible heating is dangerous for my children.and it is so hot in the summer in the flats i spend most my time out and why do we still pay heating charges during the summer.windows are wide for a child to fall out.so we have to keep windows closed.there is not enough water pressure in our taps and and i have to run drinking water to make tea for aleast 5 mins to run clear.and we dont get enough hot water to run a bath.especially when you have a family of 4.

Posted by kel at June 14, 2007 3:14 PM

Comments

i feel sorry the bus drivers and the saftey of the passengers,a little while ago some youths threw a concret slab through the back window of a b16 bus which hit a woman on the head,she was holding a 5 month old baby,she resukted in having 16 stitches,also youths are attacking the drivers and one was attempted to be dragged out of his bus cab.no wonder why buses are going to stop running on here after 8pm it ruins the sevice for all of us,also i live in leclair house and there is a majour leak comminf from 2 floors above me it appears the prperty is empty,it completly wrecked my flat,the wall paper is hanging of in to of my rooms and iscurrently soaking wet,called out for repair they cant do any thing as they cant get in to the property above,if you walk past leclair house have alookk it driping out through to the main doors down stairs for 4 days,and i cant even get compensated for the damage as i dont have home insurance even though its not my fault its coming for another flat.and yes ants infest these places mostly in the kitchen were food is kept. i had a leaflet not long ago saying these ants carry desaeses.i even find then floating in my kettle and i am a very clean person.my baby as even had an ant in her bed and her milk.why does the ferrier have ants and no other estate. i was told the concreat that the estate is built was imported and thats why it contains ants.does any one know the truth.

Posted by kelly at June 14, 2007 3:40 PM

Comments

hi im not living on the estate but in a house in woolwich but are infested with phoarah ants could you please tell me where you got the leaflet from as the council dont beleive that they carry deseases

Posted by caroline at June 24, 2007 12:08 AM

Comments

hi i got the leaflet through my door called the ferrier estate news,i think it was a survrey results on it, you might be able to get it from the ferrier estate neighbouhood office,it defently said that they carry deseases,i was shocked as i never knew this, kelly

Posted by kelly at June 26, 2007 5:26 PM

Comments

The place is a disgrace on each and every level. I feel very sorry for the decent people left there who've been treated very badly.

Posted by mike at July 3, 2007 1:30 PM

Comments

I saw it adn it looks like a piece of crap! I've heard of the ferrier gang, the rats adn I have seen it's ugly and bland. The tower blocks are a disgrace and there are photos of it aswell and I can't believe anybody would live there!!

Posted by feriier at July 16, 2007 8:48 PM

Comments

Have the house owners thought of creating a market. They would need to seek legal advice and actually move money but say for example

A sells his house to B for �300,000.00

B sells A's house to C for �300,000.00

C sells A's house back to A for �300,000.00

All transactions done on same day. No one moves and you have created a value much more in keeping with the area. You would need to check if this holds up in court when the Council challenge the value.

Best of luck

Posted by E Davis at July 24, 2007 6:51 PM

Comments

My family moved on this estate in 1971 when it was brand new. We had a beautiful masonette on Pinto Way with lots of space. The esate was lovely back then with pleasant families who cared about their property. People (including my mum) used to wash the black tiled floors and white walls down outside their front door in order to keep it looking nice. I went to the Wingfield School which was a lovely school back then. We moved away in 1979 as the estate had started to go down hill and become unkempt, but I believe this is due to Greenwich Council moving undesirable families into these properties, Ferrier just did not stand a chance. I have wonderful memories of growing up on this estate, safely playing out with all my friends on the landing or in the square where there was a slide and climbing frame. I have no idea what the Ferrier Estate looks like now but after reading all the awlful comments can only imagine. I sympathise with all the decent law abiding people still living on the estate and just hope things come together for them like they did for my family and I.

Posted by K Wilkinson at August 18, 2007 7:09 AM

Comments

i hope they start pulling the place down soon,they are way behind the time table.i hope the court case is over soon,and greenwich council can pay the true value of the houses.people have been treated like dirt by the council.the local mp has not turned up for one of the meeting with flagg.i hope people remember this next time they vote,maybe then there get an mp who cares about ordinary people who are made to move away from the area.

Posted by paul at August 30, 2007 11:37 AM

Comments

I know loooadz of people who live and lived on the estate and they all basically say da same thing: it's shit.
if i was to EVER, EVER live there..
i'd rather kill myself
or better yet-get someone on the estate to do it, cuz dey would.

Posted by somebody who dnt live on Ferrier Estate at September 26, 2007 9:11 AM

Comments

I lived on the Ferrier Estate in 1994 and moved out in 2003. I found this estate did have its problems like every other one but overall it was a nice place to live. I went to Wingfelid School and that was where all my friends went to everyone got on with everyone and we was all safe. Now when I go round to visit my nan I won't go out on my own even to go to the shops. Even tho i know these people round there won't touch me coz they all know me and my family it still can be very scary. Last time I was there with my boyfriend I was waiting for the bus to go home and these scabby little bratz (well you can't call them children anymore they bloody animals) where trying to set fire to the bus stop!! I know some parents are not to blame for there childrens actions but surely they have some kind of idea what they are up to! This estate use to be a great place for adults and kids to socilise in but now its not people are to scared to talk like they use to...I just hope to hell my nan and grandad get out soon!!!!

Posted by Nikki at November 1, 2007 9:51 AM

Comments

when ferrier gets knocked down its all well and good for the nice familys to be free from this shithole but the bad familys will be spread to other areas wont it.mabey it should stay their ferrier that is.i say get out the good keep in the bad if bad folk want 2 fuck up ferrier they made their bed let them lie it! keep the pieces of shit in their lovely ferrier because when the new blocks get built history mark my words. good luck 2 those good who want out and rember nothing lasts forever.

Posted by sum1 at December 26, 2007 11:33 PM

Comments

Hello everyone, I used to live on the Ferrier estate years ago as a small child, don't have too many memories of it. Now i'm a student at Southampton and i'm studying photojournalism. Anyway I'm doing a project on housing estates and the people that live in them, I'm especially focusing on areas that are being 'regenerated'. If there is anyone still living on the estate that would be willing to talk to me and have their photo taken, please please get in touch. Notnowjohnathon@gmail.com or 07917764932

Posted by John at January 20, 2008 11:50 AM

Comments

What a bunch of bloody idiots that have written the comments above Has any one of them go a single brain cell in there head in fact there entire body.
I have lived on the estate for over 20 years and still think its a great pace to live...I live on the first floor and cant believe how big my place is....I have a lot of gpood hard woking law abiding friends and neighbours.The state of the Ferrier is due 100% down to the council and anyone who votes them in again needs to be commited...
The estate obviously needs a make over and as we all know it, a number of undesirable tenants need to be kicked out.... And for christ sake get it of the incompetent council...
Why pull it down and rebuild the same.........if you really want to see a dive go to the aylesbury estate....
Lastly as for the rats or the so called ferrier gang can anyone tell the difference....

Posted by private@gsm.com at April 7, 2008 10:38 PM

Comments

you try and live in a bloody 1 bed flat in a tower block with 2 children then,im not in a arrears and i work and pay full rent the comment above is insulting you idiot we do have brain cells,we are all suffing big time,so dont insult us because you live ok,we dont, so have a bit of respect for others who have made there comments,

Posted by kelly at May 17, 2008 12:30 AM

Comments

i agree with the above comment,the estate is poor,and the person who left the comment about us being a bunch of idiots wants to wake up to the real world and open there eyes to whats going on here, just look at the estate and conditons,alot of it is down to the council,when it was GLC it was kept in order since greenwich council took over is when it starting getting bad,i also was stuck in a 1 bed block of flats with 1 child and 1 baby on the way,i had no option but to move and go privatly,as i had no room for a new baby as i already had 2 beds in one room and no room for a cot,i know live in a lovely 3 bed house rented privatly, but is very costly to go private mine costs �900 amonth your looking at over �200 a week rent and council tax on top,and yes i do get help from bexley housing benefit but i still have to top up quite a bit each week,but is worth it as i now have a back and front garden for my children to play in they had been stuck in that flat for to long what life is that,i belive if you have 2 children then they should have a room each,i was told children can share,it not fair when there are people whos children are older and flown the nest,when they keep there 3-4 bedroom houses but only 1 person or couple living in them,should not be allowed to hang on to these properties when they no longer have families in them, but other new families do.also i agree about the mp nick rainsford, he does notting to help i was told i would get moved in july 2008 to a 2 bed flat with my kids and get �4000 compensation,well i told them to stick it as i have lived like shit for 8 years origanally getting my 1 bed as a single person with a full time job i now have 2 kids and they decided to want to move me in to another shithole,no way i say,i moved 7 months ago a week before my second baby was born,im so happy now no thanks to greenwich council,bexley bourough and council is so much better and helpful well done bexley.but is wrong that i had to come of the council as i waited 5 years to get a council place lived in it 8 years in very more damp conditions and then i was drove out,now i gone private i will never be able to go on the council again.and the person who left that nasty comment must like living in a shithole i would hate to see how they live if they think the ferier is so great.its totally embarassing when driving on the estate,it does need knocking down,and redone,and renamed to get rid of the bad reputation as every one knows the ferrier thanks for reading my comment hope others will leave theirs too good luck to all the decent people living on the estate and fuck the rest of ya,

Posted by sarah at May 19, 2008 10:50 AM

Comments

social houseing what a fecking joke!
i really feel for the few familes left living on this estate, i went there just over a week ago and what i saw was shocking for the year 2008 how any council can let families live like this is beyond me, its run down and neglected so with it then comes the problems of crime, councils should be doing more than they do with troublesome areas not just continueing to put people in (not that they currantly are with this estate)

i hope those few who still live in the estate get away from it soon (surely there cannot be many families left there but however many there is its still too many)
and greenwich council you should be ashamed of yourselfs not one of you would live anywhere like this

Posted by Fizz at May 22, 2008 11:38 PM

Comments

i think there is more than a few about 500 families left on this estate may be more

Posted by lisa at May 23, 2008 10:23 PM

Comments

they are moving people of when other properies are availible but ther is not many to move them in to has you still have the homeless and rehousing lists from other areas to concider.most of us have gone private the ones who can afford to,i think the council has gone the wrong way about this they should have moved people of block by block and square by square but they have moved people of all over the place so people are living in run down half empty blocks which all windows are boarded up as windows were getting smashed in the empty properties,those people who go to see the mp are waisting their time he speaks rubbish and gives you false hopes i was told to clear my 1200 arears then i get moved so it took me ayear to clear then they told they cant move me that was 2 years ago now and im still here that was misleading and unfair i done my side of the agreement but they didnt looks like council tenant dont have the rights they use to have they have to many of us to deal with that we dont get the help any more i given up sod em all. gina

Posted by gina at May 23, 2008 10:32 PM

Comments

Lived here for about 5 years from 1993 to 1998 its wasnt very good then but now it looks even worse

Posted by Tom at June 5, 2008 8:50 AM

Comments

I still live here and its beyond a joke now! Since moving in to Telemann in Nov 2002 Ive had mice 3 times due to people around me buying in bulk! Ive had to get a cat so we dont get them again! We've been eaten alive by the midgys my poor babies have got alot of bits over their faces,legs and arms...We look like a family of tramps!
I had no choice but to move here I had to move out of my parents I had a newborn and we needed our own space... When I wad younger I remember exchanging places so they could get a place on here and jesus what would I do to get a move off here now!
There aint so much trouble no more but there are the big groups of youths with their dogs trying to see ya "food" they will come up to you outside the chip shop!
Right now Im watching squrials running past my windows!!
I cant let my daughter play on the landing because of the smell of skunk...The boys smoke in the lifts and I have to take my baby in there aswell as my 6yr!! Its not fair on them to inhale that!!!
There is no respect for anyone on here and Im not the person I was befor I moved on here Ive had to become this person who I dont like but I cant let my guard down because they will see and take the piss!!
This is a living hell and there is no light at the end of the tunnel!

Posted by no name tenant at June 10, 2008 10:42 AM

Comments

This whole issue with council estates, particularly London's inner city area disturbs me to distraction. It makes me so angry that there are decent people out there who are either unemployed, and have very little money to live on, are forced into sub-standard accommodation, and in the 21st Century, where poverty and decay is everywhere you look, high levels of crime and anti social behaviour and delinquents who take great pleasure in making the lifestyle even more, suicidingly unpleasant and seedy like a scene in a horror movie.
They should either completely demolish these estates, that are long past their "use-by date" and these concrete monstrosities built in the 1950s and 1960s are just so depressing to look at, let alone live in them! Something should be done NOW and with great urgency to give all these places a desperately needed upgrade, which would help in making life more bearable for these poor people who have to wake up to this everyday, not knowing which way to turn, or have great worries with shutting their eyes at night - this is very soul destroying. I cannot express how I hate this whole scale of evident poverty - I would sooner be dead than live somewhere like that!!

Posted by Paul at July 7, 2008 12:56 PM

Comments

the estate aint as bad as it used to be. the police do a great job now and i've seen them get stuck into the gangs. the gangs r just a bunch of wannabe gangstas who soon get offside when the feds roll in. increase the peace...

Posted by Sirak at August 11, 2008 2:36 AM

Comments

i lived on there (cambert way) when i was 3 moved off when i was 5, from what i can remember it was nice we had street partys and the school was really nice too. its a shame as the flats are huge and a really good size compared to where i am now... all the council need to is move off the scum do the estate up. ive found where i am now on the laner road estate in erith that when it all got done up and decent tenants moved in its so much better compared to how it was 10 yrs ago.so maybe greenwich council should take note from bexley council sell the estate to a housing assoiation.

Posted by anon at September 22, 2008 6:08 PM

Comments

Done 21 years of time there between 71 and 92. Alright at first, but later on- what a shit hole. A Lot better in sweden.BRING IT ON DOWN
SAYING HELLO FROM SWEDEN.

Posted by sven B.A at December 2, 2008 8:43 PM

Comments

Its terrible reading people's comments about this estate i just stumbled accross this page, DON'T BLAME THE BUILDINGS BLAME THE COUNCIL FOR NOT UPDATING SIMPLE THINGS LIKE HEATING AND INSULATION AND FOR NOT MANAGING THE SITE AND ENFORCING THE LAW AGAINST THESE BASTARDS WHO ARE BEING ALLOWED TO THREATEN THE RESIDENTS CALL THEM CONCRETE MONSTROSITIES BUT THE BUILDINGS THAT WILL REPLACE THESE WILL BE OF A SIMULAR DESIGN THE ANSWER HERE WOULD HAVE BEEN FOR THE COUNCIL TO HAVE CONTINUOSLY UPDATED THE FLATS AND COMMUNIAL AREAS AND BEEN VIGILANT ON CRIME THEN IT PROBABLY NEVER WOULD HAVE GOTTEN TO THIS POINT. i'm sorry for the people who have been left in this situation.

Posted by annie at January 26, 2009 2:30 AM

Comments

Really sad! How could we allow this place to deteriorate so much? Council can’t offer to home owners amount of money, which will not be enough to relocate. It is not residents’ fault that this building is not worth much as it is council’s job to maintain it. Local residents should unite their efforts. It is London we are talking about! There are regenerating projects, which could possibly help.

Posted by Kathrine at March 3, 2009 3:04 PM

Comments

I just left Thomas Talis school and i had to walk passed the Ferrier many times and nearly every time i passed it on my own i would usually get followed by someone from the ferrier gang and several times mugged. Its a dive, the problem is the council move, what they call 'problem families' into council places likes this and just forget about them or at least pretend they don't exist. They let the problem escalate further and further until it get to the point were there are now gangs that cause a blight on the whole of greenwich. So they knock it down, move all the families over to the new slum like Abbey Wood or thamesmead and then the cycle begins again.

Ferrier like places for example Thamesmead were seen, when they were built, as the future of london, but look what happened. What has happened to our sense of pride and community as a people? But i really want asked is why have the people of the ferrier allowed this to happen. As someone else in the comments said this is a very recent thing all of this. The council aren't the only ones to blame in this situation.

Posted by Jack at March 26, 2009 4:04 PM

Comments

The buildings are a true architectural marvel and must be preserved rather than demolished, truly stunning modernism at its best, Kidbrooke is like a city of beauty to the architect, the crime there is part of that beauty

Posted by malcomb at July 17, 2009 9:29 PM

Comments

I am a NUJ/ professional photographer and am interested in talking to and photographing people that are still living in the Estate. I can be contacted at: harryjmaynard@googlemail.com

Posted by howard at September 3, 2009 6:28 PM

Comments

can i just say, i saw the comment from someone from the twats you call the ferrier crew- you are an arsehole!! i sincerely hope you get mugged and stabbed- then you will know what it is like. having lived on that rat infested, dirty, smelly, dangerous and unforgiving hellhole i can safely say i am better off now i am out of there. oh. btw ferrier crew. while you live on that shithole in some grotty flat and live off the taxpayer. i have got a job, am in college AND have my own home. its called work, not sitting on you're chavvy arses scrounging off of us genuine people. as far as i am concerned you have no right to rehousing, and should be left in the flats when they are knocked down! oh, and no, you do not scare me and never have! i took one of youre guys to court for what he did to me and won!

Posted by sheepchaser at November 26, 2009 2:08 AM

Comments

My family moved to the Ferrier in 1977, it was amazing back then, I remember there were horses on Meadow side, we had dog shows and fetes in Sutcliffe park, a 9am Saturday club in Telemann Square, Rino the Iceream man, the fish man who would ring his bell up the street.

I remember all the kids playing massive games of Knock down ginger and run outs, plus when the skate boarding, roller-skating, bmx craze started everyone would be out practicing moves and tricks in the various squares.

Who remembers the protest in the housing offices in Telemann square? There was a sit in there which lasted about 3 weeks, then the government awarded the estate 2 million for repairs, but all they really did was paint the tower blocks funky colours.
Plus around that time there were men in suits walking around saying they were from an insurance company and had just bought the Tower blocks??? This was around 1988, so did the council sell off the estate back then?????

Posted by Ferrier babe at December 3, 2009 2:35 PM

Comments

I never lived on the Ferrier but my best Friend from School did. He Lived in a Maisonette in Gallus Square. Hence i spent a lot of time there between 1984 and 1988. I seem to recall the Estate was always a bit on the rough side back then with Gangs and Crime etc. So you had to watch your back a bit at Times. But i have many fond Memories of the Time i spent there. If you didnt look for trouble the chances were 9 times out of 10 you wouldnt find it. My Friend moved away from the Estate in 1988 so i never went back until earlier this Year. Ive been Living in Ashford Kent for 10 years and was in London visiting my Sister in Law. I decided to go out and have a Trip down Memory Lane. So visited the Ferrier to see what its like now. I was shocked at how much it had gone down Hill. Many of the Propertys empty and Boarded up. The Shops in Telemann Square all Boarded up and closed. Not to memtion the General Poor Run down condition of the place. It was Sad to see and i was Glad to leave the place ASAP. I can only think that the People who have Lived there over the Years have had no respect for the place. Plus the Council have made no effort to try to even keep the place half Decent. All i can say is i feel very Sorry indeed for the Small amount of People still living there. I hope they are moved to better Homes soon. Poor old Ferrier RIP.

Posted by Shaun at December 6, 2009 5:00 PM

Comments

I lived on this estate for 21 years of my life. My parents moved in around August 1983, and you had to be VETTED to get a place there. It was a spacious flat in one of the maisonnetes, and comfortable enough, but regrettably I lived through the decline of the area. At the beginning of the decline there were used drug needles everywhere, and every other week someone's house or the rubbish chutes got set on fire. My parents moved out in November 2007, a day before an armed seige at our former square (Ebdon Way) trapped the rest of the residents for a few hours, including my ex-neighbour.

I went back there last year to see what had happened, and was devastated to see so many homes, including my own, go to rack and ruin, boarded up with metal sheeting, so I couldn't see the bright red door I chose the colour of when I was about five.

Should pull it down, and replace it as oon as possible. Why the wait for 2018?!

Posted by Laura at January 3, 2010 7:22 PM

Comments

Is any one still living there?or on the heygate for that matter? last time i drove past ther were billboards everywhere about the regeneration. feel sorry for any1 who is, just hope the redevelopment actually works

Posted by cris at February 4, 2010 11:43 PM

Comments

I lived at 32 Pinto Way from 71 - 79 , having moved from a one bedroom flat me and my 2 brothers and parents enjoyed the very spacious maisonette and the very clean and tidy squares with parties and celebrations . Went to Wingfield and onto Thomas Tallis . My parents decided to move to Orpington in 79 and i am glad of that decision now but i still have great childhood memories there .

Posted by Claire at April 26, 2010 10:35 PM

Comments

wow what can i say about ferrier i use to jam on ferrier and now its getting knocke down its not going to be the same man i will always live near ferrier ..

Posted by SarahLOUiisee at June 25, 2010 3:44 PM

Comments

i lived there and worked there for 30 years til 2003 it seems that the comunity spirit leftand the arsholes moved in soon after.....befor that time it was great .. everyone looking out for thier friends and niebours .. it was "a comunity" there was no trouble in cambert that couldnt be sorted
i now live in the valleys of wales theres no more divided place in the uk these days......
no work...

Posted by mike wood at August 31, 2010 9:48 PM

Comments

I dont even live in london but when i drove through the estate i was shocked to hear that people still lived there, the flats looked like theyve just been forgotten about and all this gang stuff just adds to the bad living conditions, all you decent people that live there, i hope verything goes well for ya!

Posted by jj at September 3, 2010 8:43 PM

Comments

i first saw this estate back in 83,when going on a school trip to clacton ,what amazed me was the size of it big is not the word massive more like,and for years i've wondered what is was called until a friend told me ferrier,i watched a programme about it on telly once,about the people living there,i enjoyed living on my estate until we had to moved,and can only say that the good times are a distance memmory and will stay with me forever,i loved living on council esates,playing runouts,knock down ginger,ting tang tommy bulldog,the local youth club,limehouse to be exact,the rivalry between,st vincent estate and barley mow estate,all that and more but now it seems the ferrier is on it's last legs,change is inevitable,but is it good or bad,i hope the last few remaining people there,get a good place to live in,

Posted by paul wilson at September 26, 2010 3:05 AM

Comments

my name is BRADLEY BALMAN i used to live on the ferrier when it first opened and grew up there; i knew most people and am looking for MARK FOX OR EARNIE FOX OR ANYONE WHO KNOWS ME or could point me in the right direction to the above. IF YOU THINK YOU KNOW ME OR KNOW WHERE MY OLD MATES ARE NOW DRINKING OR WHAT THEY R DOING PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME ON 07757054902... MANY THANKS BRADDERS....

Posted by bradley balman at September 30, 2010 1:22 PM

Comments

Hi, I'm from Kidbrooke but am currently in my third year of a Journalism degree at University College Falmouth. I'm currently looking for someone to interview who has spent most of their life living on the Ferrier Estate, this will be for a feature I'm writing marking the history of the estate through the memories of a resident. If you would be up for being interviewed then email connor.mg.obrien@gmail.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Posted by Connor O'Brien at October 31, 2010 12:30 PM

Comments

My family was one of the first to move to the ferrier in 1972 into Pinto Way. It was paradise having come from Waterloo. I went to Winfield school and then Thomas Tallis. Childhood on the estate was brilliant. I remember the summer paries each square put on and the queens silver jubilee celebrations in 1977. The place was spotless and to have constant hot water central heating and a small garden it was great. I too took a detour around the estate a few years ago and agree it had become a shit hole, it didn't get like this on its own though. I noticed the place started to take a nosedive when the GLC ceased and Greenwich borough took it over. I think they ran a Policy of moving as many lowlifes in as they could to keep them all in one place leaving the decent folk surrounded by them.

Posted by Pat at January 12, 2011 9:37 PM

Comments

Ive lived on this estate since 1997 when i was a baby. it may look bad but it may not be as bad as the buildings look. Not once have i been followed, shanked hurt or stolen from. Okay i must admit i've had some mice maybe about once or twice snce 1997 and thats only because they look for food. Its not the councils fault that people create trouble here. At least its somewhere to live.At least your not on the streets. So what if mice or ants have been in your house a couple of times. You still have a lot of space to move around these flats are big compared to others and it was made to help people. If the council wasn't helping they wouldn't knock it down . About the gang, do you even know why they started the gang. Exactly. So don't judge a book by its cover. Thankyou. Bye :)

Posted by umm anonymous at January 15, 2011 5:46 PM

Comments

I Had a good friend who lived in Goldmark hse,Lebrun Square in the Late eighties and nineties.On visiting her there and later at Dando Crescent i never encountered any trouble at all.she did have a problem with the ants and i think G.B.C. Should have done more about this and disagreed with parents of young children being housed in towerblocks so high up.Ferrier is FAMOUS for a bad reputation this was more some of the tennants rather then the buldings.use to have a view of the ferrier towerblocks from the Brook Estate.I feel really sad for all the people affected by bad experience of living there,sorry for people who had happy memories there having discovered its going to be pulled down.I myself have moved since 2001 but cant imagine it not being there anymore.Nothing stays the same forever and the only sadness for me is having lost touch with my friend in 01 who lived there Mandy Teresa would love to hear from you.

Posted by Teresa at January 28, 2011 11:04 PM

Comments

Well what can I say that hasn't been said already. Yes most of the above if not all is true, but the Estate was a mistake. More grass was needed rather than concrete and the "squares" where kids would play - well think how dangerous they were. If you would fall through those large circles where the garages were below. Eventually they were boarded up and the garages below were closed. The colour of the concrete has not aged well and with erosion (rain mostly) the estate began to look - well scary and I say this as a grown man. I heard there were gang wars between the towers. This was not the case for myself growing up on the estate in the 70's and 80's - I was one of the first residents on the estate. It was not that bad growing up. Just needed more grass and less concrete in the playing areas. Sorry I am not buying this "Kidbrooke Village" the reputation will stay there for a long time. I can't believe it will turn into a vibrant village overnight

Posted by Kidbrookekid at February 23, 2011 4:04 PM

Comments

I lived in Pinto Way (28) from 1972-1999. When we first moved ther is was a wonderful place to live and I have fond memories. My mum (RIP) worked in the chipshop for many years. The estate went downhill when the council let unsavoury families move there, sure spend a shed load of money on regeneration but put the scum back in and the whole process will start again. RIP Ferrier.

Posted by Sarah Barton at April 27, 2011 3:17 PM

Comments

Just finished my recent project "The Ghost Estate", which is about 1970's housing estate in Kidbrooke, Greenwich:

Posted by RM at May 18, 2011 6:37 PM

Comments

I've have visited Thamesmead South and I thought it very grim but architecturally interesting.
I heard a lot about "The Ferrier" and had to see it. Thoughts? Super grim. As a sink estate...a super sink estate of great magnitude. I've been a fan of brutalist architecture for a while but the Ferrier filled me with distate and horror. Like Thamesmead South and many of the other developments of the same period, it started off as a brand new semi-utopia. Remember, for most working-class people an in-door toilet, central heating and the absence of damp was never experienced before.
Throught the UK, councils made the same error of filling the estates with pathologicals and problematics, failing to maintain the estates and supervise them sufficiently. And yet, not all people on estates are necessarily pathological.
It's not the concrete and design alone that make for a bad estate although bad design and relentless concrete construction play a negative role. It's the failure of positive communities to develop, a shrinking economy ( working class people are more vulnerable to the gyrations of the market, outsourcing, downsizing etc). All of these things play a role.

The Ferrier was for a me a scene a desolation. Very saddening. Saw very,very few people on the estate, some demolition in progress, not a staffy in sight, and lots and lots of "emptiness".

Regeneration? Rehousing the same pathologicals that ruined the estate for everyone else in the same locality?!! I hope not. The fabric of communities decays quicker than the fabric of buildings.

Posted by DystopianMan at July 12, 2011 10:55 PM

Please feel free to comment on this entry

POSTCODES